- Departure Date:
- May 30. 2012
- Return Date:
- Aug. 01 2012
- Local Institution:
- University of Texas at Brownsville
- Local Advisor:
- Rick Jenet
- Foreign Institution:
- Foreign Advisor:
- KJ Lee
- Student Status:
- Q. What country were you staying in?
- Q. What university were you attending/doing research at?
It’s not a university its a research institution. I was at the
Max-Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy.
- Q. How long were you there?
I’ve gone for two consecutive summers, each about 2 months.
- Q. What sort of research were you doing?
Pulsar Timing. This past summer I was working on following up on my
double neutron star system. The first summer I worked on expanding
my research project, where I was working on creating a website to
help choose the optimal list of pulsars to detect
- Q. Did being abroad influence the kind of research you’re doing?
Working on my research projects abroad help me expand my research.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing about being abroad?
Experiencing a new culture and getting to travel in Europe.
- Q. What’s your favorite new phrase from the language?
- Q. What’s the hardest thing about being abroad?
Language barrier. My German is not that great but I managed to
- Q. What did you do in your free time?
Explored the city, went to museums, traveled to other countries.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
Visited the Olympic stadium for the 1972 Olympics in
Munich, Germany. I visited Anne Franks house in Amsterdam,
Netherlands and the Van Gogh museum.
- Q. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
Everything closes on Sundays in Bonn, Germany.
- Q. What advice would you offer others going abroad?
Don’t hesitate in the opportunity of studying abroad.
- Q. What skills have you learned abroad?
have been able to survive and adapt in a different country with a
different language and culture. I’ve also learned a lot more about
- Q. Is there anything you’d do differently or anything you wish you’d
would have liked to travel to more countries.