- Departure Date:
- Jun. 1 2014
- Return Date:
- Aug. 9 2014
- Local Institution:
- Oberlin College
- Local Advisor:
- Dan Stinebring
- Foreign Institution:
- Belefeld University
- Foreign Advisor:
- Joris Verbiest
- Student Status:
- Q. What country were you staying in?
was staying in Germany.
- Q. What university were you attending/doing research at?
was doing research at Bielefeld University.
- Q. How long were you there?
was there for two months.
- Q. What sort of research were you doing?
was doing research on the interstellar medium.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing about being abroad?
Definitely the coolest thing about being abroad was being around
people with different perspectives and different opinions and
different views on things.
- Q. What’s your favorite new phrase from the language?
favorite new phrase is Oh mein Gott! It means “oh my god” and people
say it with the same inflection as people in the States and I just
found it funny to hear people say.
- Q. What’s the hardest thing about being abroad?
Definitely the hardest thing was the language barrier, even though
most people spoke english there was still some level of awkwardness
associated with interactions.
- Q. What did you do in your free time?
hung out and went to bars and met up with people in my house in the
kitchen in my free time.
- Q. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
The weirdest thing I’ve seen while abroad is really just the level
of efficiency they have in Germany. If there is any cool idea that
would make life just a miniscule amount better, but you never see it
enacted, it is definitely important in germany.
- Q. What advice would you offer others going abroad?
The advice I would offer would be to learn some of the language
before going to the point where you can hold part of a conversation
before switching to English.
- Q. What skills have you learned abroad?
have learned to better communicate what I am trying to say to people
who don’t have English as a first language. Which also helped me cut
down and get to the heart of what I am trying to explain.
- Q. Is there anything you’d do differently or anything you wish you’d
Not really it was fun going and an amazing experience and being my
first time in Europe it was kind of nice not having any expectations
and being surprised by everything I encountered.