- Departure Date:
- May 14 2015
- Return Date:
- July 31 2015
- Local Institution:
- West Virginia University
- Local Advisor:
- Maura McLaughlin
- Foreign Institution:
- Manchester University
- Foreign Advisor:
- Rene Breton
- Student Status:
- Q. What country were you staying in?
traveled to Manchester, UK
- Q. What university were you attending/doing research at?
did research at Manchester University
- Q. How long were you there?
stayed for 2 and a half months
- Q. What sort of research were you doing?
was mapping polarized pulsars with the new LOFAR Telescope
- Q. Did being abroad influence the kind of research you’re doing?
going abroad I have realized that pulsar research is what I wish to
study in the future.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing about being abroad?
The coolest thing about being abroad is how many new people you meet
who all are very different from anyone you have met before.
- Q. What’s your favorite new phrase from the language?
The phrase I remember so vividly was said at the convenience store I
went to everyday where the cashier would say ‘you alright’ which is
asking how are you.
- Q. What’s the hardest thing about being abroad?
The hardest thing about being abroad is missing your friends while
you are away and not knowing anyone for the first few weeks.
- Q. What did you do in your free time?
my free time I would walk around Manchester and spend time at the
numerous book stores scattered throughout the city.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
While I was abroad I was able to borrow a 3D printer from a staff
member for one weekend. I spent roughly 25 hours using it to print
various things and it was amazing!
- Q. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
- Q. What advice would you offer others going abroad?
While abroad do not be afraid to meet new people and explore where
- Q. What skills have you learned abroad?
The skills I have brought back are the ability to program in python,
a better understanding of radio astronomy and pulsars in general.
- Q. Is there anything you’d do differently or anything you wish you’d
wish when I went someone told me how miserable 12 hour flights are
without anything to do but it is worth every second to explore a