- Departure Date:
- May 23 2015
- Return Date:
- Aug. 10 2015
- Local Institution:
- West Virginia University
- Local Advisor:
- Maura McLaughlin
- Foreign Institution:
- Foreign Advisor:
- Ryan Shannon & George Hobbs
- Student Status:
- Q. What country were you staying in?
- Q. What university were you attending/doing research at?
Australia Telescope National Facility
- Q. How long were you there?
About 3 months
- Q. What sort of research were you doing?
Studying hydrogen absorption and emission along the lines of sight
of millisecond pulsars
- Q. Did being abroad influence the kind of research you’re doing?
- Q. What’s the coolest thing about being abroad?
Getting to live and explore a country that is different from
- Q. What’s your favorite new phrase from the language?
saying “heaps” when you want to say “ a lot”, “how ya going” instead
of “how are you” , “cheers” instead of “thank you” , and “no
worries” instead of “you’re welcome”
- Q. What’s the hardest thing about being abroad?
Meeting people to do tourist thing with.
- Q. What did you do in your free time?
Surfed, went to museums, walked along the beaches, explored various
areas of Sydney.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
Surfing was really cool.
- Q. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
The birds were way louder than I am used to.
- Q. What advice would you offer others going abroad?
Get out and explore, and don’t be afraid to strike up conversations
- Q. What skills have you learned abroad?
got much better at Linux and programming in general
- Q. Is there anything you’d do differently or anything you wish you’d
wish I would’ve lived in a more happening part of town, and wish I
would’ve been more outgoing.