- Departure Date:
- Summer 2015
- Return Date:
- Summer 2015
- Local Institution:
- Frankin & Marshall University
- Local Advisor:
- Andrea Lommen
- Foreign Institution:
- University of Manchester
- Foreign Advisor:
- Rene Breton
- Student Status:
- Q. What country were you staying in?
- Q. What university were you attending/doing research at?
University of Manchester
- Q. How long were you there?
- Q. What sort of research were you doing?
Particle Astrophysics (Ultra High Energy Cosmic Rays)
- Q. Did being abroad influence the kind of research you’re doing?
Yes, because I am continuing my summer research project while
studying at F&M this semester.
- Q. What’s the coolest thing about being abroad?
The coolest thing about being abroad is getting the chance to visit
all of the famous places I never thought I would ever get to see. I
visited ten different countries in Europe this summer (something I
would never get to do without this grant).
- Q. What’s your favorite new phrase from the language?
“Cheers!” The perfect response to everything.
- Q. What’s the hardest thing about being abroad?
The hardest thing about being abroad in England is managing your
money because everything is so expensive.
- Q. What did you do in your free time?
visited other countries on the weekends and on my days off (since I
was there the whole summer but only had to work 50 days).
- Q. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
Backpacking around Europe by myself was an incredible and
life-changing experience altogether.
- Q. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve seen or done while abroad?
The weirdest thing I saw was a stampede of over fifty men dressed as
Superman in Dublin. There was no event, and no explanation.
- Q. What advice would you offer others going abroad?
would advise others to take every opportunity to explore the area
and don’t be afraid to go places on your own!
- Q. What skills have you learned abroad?
definitely have learned a lot of travel skills while abroad, as well
as programming skills and knowledge of particle astrophysics!
- Q. Is there anything you’d do differently or anything you wish you’d
The only thing I would have done differently would be to buy plane
tickets in advance because they’re much cheaper if you don’t wait
until the last minute.